CMC Research Institutes (CMCRI) is an environmental technology firm supporting the transformation of Canada’s industrial economy to thrive in a low carbon world. We provide facilities to field test, develop and demonstrate emission-reducing technologies and offer access to scientists, engineers and technologists who work with clients to solve design and process challenges encountered as technologies are scaled up. Incorporated as a not-for-profit, our revenue stream is through a combination of private sector, government, and academic partnerships and contracts.
CMCRI requires an experienced Business Manager to lead our administrative operations in Calgary, Alberta, and to support the President & CEO and the Senior Leadership Team.
Responsible for the effective and efficient operation of a small (10-12 person) organization, you will ensure all policies, procedures, and practices are in place to ensure the company is effective and responsive to its clients, partners and staff. You will work closely with the President & CEO and members of the senior leadership team to develop and implement initiatives and topnotch business strategies. With your strong administration skills, you will ensure that all administrative processes run smoothly by overseeing certain activities and providing support to the project management teams.
The position has a broad set of responsibilities that include:
- Work with the Institute Directors and the finance team to facilitate contract administration, project reporting, purchasing and invoicing.
- Provide oversight and management of our IT service provider to ensure smooth business operations.
- Monitor projects to help ensure project managers complete them on time, and in an efficient and productive manner to meet research and program milestones and deliverables.
- Ensure compliance with government regulations and company policies across the company, including corporate permits, licences and health and safety guidelines.
- Engage with the Senior Leadership team and the finance team on annual forecasting and budgeting and develop initiatives to increase profits and optimise the use of resources.
- Ensure appropriate corporate policies, procedures, and practices are in place, and maintained.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate is a well-rounded and competent manager able to provide guidance and support that enhances the organization’s performance. We are looking for a personable team player who can roll up his/her sleeves and contribute to the growth and success of our small company. Ideally, you possess the following:
- At least 5 years’ experience as a business manager or senior administrative officer in a small or mid-sized firm
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Highly organized
- Exceptional problem solver
- Thorough understanding of diverse business processes.
Join a dynamic team who is working to combat climate change and help Canada’s industries thrive in a low carbon future. To explore this opportunity further in confidence, please send your cover letter and curriculum vitae in one PDF document to email@example.com. The subject of the email should be CMCRI Business Manager.
CMC Research Institute, Inc. hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Indigenous persons.
Click here to print position description:
Business Manager Job Advertisement